Scripting languages, can be embedded within HTML, commonly are used to add functionality to a Web page, such as different menu styles or graphic displays or to serve dynamic advertisements. These types of languages are client-side scripting languages, affecting the data that the end user sees in a browser window. Other scripting languages are server-side scripting languages that manipulate the data, usually in a database, on the server.
- generates dynamic page content
- creates, opens, reads, writes, deletes, and closes files on the server
- can collect form data
- can send and receive cookies
- can add, delete, modify data in your database
- can be used to control user-access
- can encrypt data
SQL or Structured Query Language is a domain-specific language used in programming and designed for managing data held in a relational database management system.
HHVM serves as an execution engine for the PHP and transforms information into bytecodes.