Information Architecture is essentially the way items in a website are organized and labeled. Web developers typically focus on this aspect of the website more because making the site quick and user friendly is what is most important. You want the viewer to know exactly where the information can be found at.
There are several types of navigation in websites:
- The type of content a mechanism accesses
- Behavior of the navigational links and transition to the next page
- The tasks and modes of seeking the mechanism supports
- Visual treatment of navigational options
- The position of a navigation on a page
There are three elements of wire framing. Information Design is the presentation, placement and prioritization of the information. Navigation design provides a set of screen elements that allow the user to move page to page through the website. Interface Design includes selecting and arranging interface elements to enable users to interact with the functionality of the system.